Pence Promises to Hold the World Health Organization Accountable for Coronavirus Response


Pence Promises to Hold the World Health Organization Accountable for Coronavirus Response

Vice President Mike Pence listens as President Donald Trump speaks about the coronavirus in the James Brady Press Briefing Room of the White House, Monday, April 6, 2020, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

 

In an appearance on Fox News on Wednesday, Vice President Mike Pence declared that the United States would hold the World Health Organization (WHO) accountable for its response to the COVID-19 outbreak. The international agency has come under fire for helping China disseminate misinformation about the nation’s coronavirus deaths.

Pence indicated that President Donald Trump is willing to force the WHO to give an explanation for its mishandling of the pandemic. “This is a president who believes in accountability, and the American taxpayers provide tens of millions of dollars to the World Health Organization,” he said. “As the President said yesterday, I suspect we will continue to do that, but that doesn’t mean that at the right time in the future we aren’t going to ask the tough questions about how the World Health Organization could have been so wrong.”

Earlier this week, the World Health Organization suggested that the United States should open its borders to China despite the ongoing threat of the coronavirus. This suggestion drew a sharp rebuke from the President, who accused the agency of being “China-centric.”

Trump also intimated that the administration would withhold funding from the organization, but hasn’t yet committed to such an action. “We’re going to put a hold on money sent to the WHO,” he said. “We’re going to put a very powerful hold on it, and we’re going to see.”

The United States currently contributes 22% of the total members’ contributions.

When the COVID-19 outbreak originated in China late last year, the country’s leadership silenced whistleblowers warning about the dangers of the virus. The communist regime prevented these individuals from expressing their concerns that the coronavirus could spread and cause a global pandemic.

Officials with the Chinese government claimed that the virus was “controllable” and downplayed the threat it posed. Instead of verifying the claims of China’s leadership, the WHO allowed them to deceive the rest of the world.

So far, there have been over 400,000 reported cases of COVID-19 infections in the U.S., and almost 14,000 have died as a result of the pandemic. The White House’s coronavirus task force is working with state leaders to curb the spread of the virus, which was expected to reach its peak this week.

 

Let me know what you think in the comments below.

Follow me on Twitter: @JeffOnTheRight

 

 





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *